Savory Cat Treats
The combination of tuna and catnip will please even the most discerning of cats.
- 15 ounce can tuna (water-pack)
- Chicken broth or fat-free milk (optional)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 - 2 tablespoons dried catnip, crushed*
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Water (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large cookie sheets with foil; set aside. Drain tuna, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid (if necessary, add broth or milk to measure 1/4 cup). In a small bowl combine tuna, the 1/4 cup reserved liquid, oil, and catnip. In a medium bowl stir together all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. Stir in tuna mixture and cheese. If necessary, stir in up to 2 tablespoons water just until moistened. Form mixture into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 10-inch square. Using a pizza cutter or a knife, cut into 1/2-inch squares (bite-size for cats). Place squares in a single layer on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake on separate oven racks for 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown, rearranging cookie sheets halfway through baking. Cool on cookie sheets on wire racks.
- Place cat treats in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.
* Depending on how much your cat likes catnip, you can add more or less to the mixture. Dried catnip can be purchased from pet supply stores.